Based in Montreal, Canada
21 June, 2019
Data Defense is a minimalist tower defense indie game set in cyberspace. Protect servers from being infected by glitches, bugs and viruses. Use each server's particular layout to your advantage, installing defense programs in strategic locations to defend the server in the fastest time possible.
Data Defense has been in the making since May 2011. Originally a personal project of Colin's, its first incarnation was built in Flash and released under the name of Install_D on websites such as Newgrounds and Kongregate in 2014. A port to Unity with a focus on Mobile and Desktop platforms would be the next hurdle for oncoming years. Colin would give the game a significant face-lift and design overhaul while Jeremy Dumouchel would provide it with an impressive new soundtrack. The move towards Unity was quite labour intensive, requiring a leap of faith due to the nature of the code requiring the whole thing to be translated before it could be tested. Some 7000 errors later, the game would reemerge as what it is today.Dark Times
Data Defense's developers (Colin and Jeremy, roommates at the time) were plagued with a string of bad luck, not least of which were 2 consecutive house fires. They lost everything in the first fire and the second occured not 6 months later. As added insult to injury, the team had a severe bed bug infestation in the apartment they rented between fires. This unforeseen curveball added even more stress, but it would all come to a head when the second fire would force them out of their home again. Having moved 3 times in under a year, and having to throw out many of their reacquired belongings (to prevent the infestation from following them), development was put on pause until things would return to normal.Release
Amidst all the chaos, Data Defense was released to mobile and was eventually accepted to Steam via Greenlight. It is set to release on Steam June 21st 2019.
- Create your own paths by installing, selling and upgrading your towers.
- Over 50 different maps and challenges that will put your strategic skills to the test. Includes a Survival mode!
- Be creative! Mix and match 30 different tower types to find the best ways to defend your servers.
- Loads of unique enemies that will keep you on your toes.
- Get in the zone with over 15 amazing tracks of ambiant music.
- Minimalist Vector / Pixel art.
- Interactive, physics driven particles.
Release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "This is absolutely one of my favorite tower defense games of all time."
- "Genuinely unique take on a classic formula."
- "Never thought a tower defence game will be this peaceful."
- "This is a work of art!"
Request Press Copy
You can request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
2Blocks is an independent game studio based in Montreal, Canada. It was founded in 2017 by Colin, a seasoned game programmer who has worked in both AAA and indie games such as WATCH_DOGS for Ubisoft and Darkest Dungeon for RedHook. Data Defense is the company's first title - a minimalist tower defense game set in cyberspace.
More information on 2Blocks, our logo & relevant media are available here.